More than 8,200 people have been killed and many more injured ever since Saudi Arabia started a war on Yemen in March, a civil group says.
The Yemeni Civilian Association announced in a report on Wednesday that the ongoing Saudi attacks have claimed the lives of 8,278 people, including 2,236 children, and left 16,015 others injured.
The attacks have also destroyed or damaged:
– Around 345,722 houses
– 39 universities
– 262 hospitals
– 16 media offices
– 615 mosques
– 810 schools and educational centers
Forced the closure of around 4,000 schools
Further damaged in Saudi strikes:
– 1,113 government buildings
– 191 factories
– 59 heritage sites
– 41 sports stadiums
– 124 chicken farms
– 547 food stores
– 421 fuel tankers
Saudi attacks have destroyed or damaged:
– 530 bridges and roads
– 163 water tanks
– 140 power plants
– 167 telecommunications sites
– 14 airports
– 10 seaports
The report comes in the wake of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) warning about the dire situation of Yemeni patients amid Saudi attacks on hospitals.
Robert Mardini, who heads the ICRC’s operations for the Near and Middle East, has said the situation in Yemen is turning into one of the world’s “forgotten conflicts”.
Earlier this month, the ICRC’s outgoing health coordinator in Yemen, Monica Arpagaus, warned that hospitals in Yemen are no longer safe.
“We have incidents where hospitals have been targeted and patients have been injured and staffs have been killed,” Arpagaus said.
“Drugs, medication and medical supplies have been prevented from crossing frontlines into hospitals which desperately need these supplies.”